Dear family and friends,
As you know, Jason and I are in the process of adopting our first little Chinese princess... Gabriella Grace Xu Zhi Ming Fouts. She will joining our family Monday, July 19, 2010 on her Gotcha Day.
While we wait, Grandma Pirate (Jason's mom) would like to continue the tradition in her family to make a quilt for each of her grandchildren.
She has asked me to gather contributions to make this a special memory for Gabriella.
To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or "100 Good Wishes Quilt." It is a custom to invite family and friends to contribute a square patch of cloth. The patches are sewn together into a quilt that contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation.
If you would like to contribute to this project, we would love it! Here is what we would like you to do:
1. Choose ANY 100% cotton fabric that you like. It can be from clothing or from a fabric store. It can be a design and color that you like or that represents who you are… (for example, it might be a pirate scrap of fabric for Grandma and Grandpa Pirate, for Grandpa Fouts, it might be a Bob the Builder scrap of fabric because he is a builder, for Uncle Todd it might be an airplane scrap of fabric because he is an airplane pilot). It could also be a bit of fabric that you've used to create something else wonderful for your family.
2. Cut one 8x8 square from the fabric. I will scan that piece of fabric to place in her "100 Good Wishes Quilt” scrapbook.
3. Each member of your family can contribute a different square of fabric and well wish.
4. Also, could you please include your "good wish note" via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. It also would help me if you could print your “good wish note” and send it with your piece of fabric as well.
5. Finally, I would love to add a digital photo of the contributor… and/or your family. Can you send this also to my email at email@example.com.
6. The fabric and note can be folded up and put into a regular envelope. Please send it to me:
PO BOX 1634
Bothell, WA 98041
Ideas for a your good wishes note: What would you wish for Gabriella's life?
This wish can be your own words or thoughts, a favorite poem or quote, a blessing for our little princess, a prayer for her, a favorite Bible verse or promise, etc.
Grandma Pirate wants to get this started... would you join our family and be part of this special memory for Gabriella?
Thanks! Jason, Patty, Kai, Tyanna, and Gabriella (Take-off Day, July 16, 2010)